Welcome to the third week of the Babbel 30-Day Language Challenge! Every week, we’re publishing an article to help you get in the habit of learning every day. By the end of the month, you’ll have the tools to carry you forward.
This Week’s Language Challenge
We’re already at week three of Babbel’s 30-day challenge, and hopefully you’re settling into a learning routine that works for you. In the last two weeks, we’ve given you challenges and tips on reading and writing in your new language. Now, it’s time to listen!
Listening comprehension is crucial if you’re going to have conversations in the language you’re learning — which is more likely than not one of your goals. You need to be able to understand what people are saying to you in order to respond appropriately. Fortunately, we’ve got plenty of resources and advice to help you improve your listening skills.
As always, there are several different challenges you can complete, based on your schedule each day this week. Maybe one day, you can spare 15 minutes, but the next day you only have a single free minute. That’s totally fine! As long as you stay consistent by doing something each day, you’ll continue building a healthy learning habit. And be sure to check out our resources below for more specific recommendations on how to practice your listening skills.
Ready to get started? Listen up!
1 Minute Challenges
- Watch a short Instagram video in the language you’re learning (we have curated lists of accounts to follow for each language below).
- Use the pronunciation feature from an online dictionary for a few common vocab words.
5 Minute Challenges
- Listen to a song in your new language and see how much you understand (we have curated Spotify playlists to follow for each language below).
- Find and listen to a radio station that broadcasts in your local language (you’ll likely have to find an online radio station for this).
10 Minute Challenges
- Watch a YouTube video that’s partially or entirely in your target language (we have curated lists of channels to subscribe to for each language below).
- Find an online comprehension quiz to test your listening abilities.
- Listen to a chapter of an audiobook. If you have the physical book, you can combine this with your reading skills.
15 Minute Or More Challenges
- Listen to an episode of a podcast in the language you’re learning (we have curated lists of podcasts to check out for each language below).
- Watch an episode of a TV show — try it with English subtitles first, then turn them off (we have curated lists of TV shows to watch for each language below).
- Take a local tour offered in the language.
Recommended Language Challenge Resources
7 Instagram Accounts To Follow If You’re Learning Spanish
9 YouTubers To Subscribe To If You’re Learning Spanish
Learning With Music: Babbel’s Beginner Spanish Playlist
The 6 Best Podcasts For Spanish Language Learners
The Spanish Learner’s Guide To ‘El Misterio De La Calle De Cervantes’ Podcast
6 TV Shows You Can Stream To Help You Learn Spanish
7 Instagram Accounts To Follow If You’re Learning French
5 Spotify Playlists To Follow If You’re Learning French
5 Podcasts For French Learners Of Every Skill Level
5 TV Shows You Can Stream To Help You Learn French
7 Instagram Accounts To Follow If You’re Learning Italian
8 Italian YouTubers To Subscribe To If You’re Learning The Language
6 Of The Best Podcasts For Italian Language Learners
5 TV Shows To Stream To Help You Practice Italian
7 Instagram Accounts To Follow If You’re Learning German
Songs To Learn By: A German Playlist For Music-Lovers Of All Kinds
5 Best German Podcasts For Language Learners
5 TV Shows You Can Stream To Help You Learn German