31 Things You Can Do This Winter Without Putting On Pants
Now that the winter holidays are over, is there anything to look forward to in the gray days ahead? Beat the winter blues by getting cozy at home while still staying productive. Here are 31 things you can do inside on a cold winter day.
Illustrations by Sveta Sobolev
Ahh, Christmas. When the smell of cinnamon cookies lingers in the warm kitchen, the air is buzzing with excitement and lights are twinkling on the Christmas tree. And oh, New Year’s Eve. Where champagne flows in rivers, the party hats are sparkly and new hopes and dreams are born.
And now forget those two. The holidays are over. What’s left is another few weeks of winter, basically without all the excitement, but with all the cold and gray weather. The snow has long since melted and become gray under car tires and shoes, the festive decorations have been taken down and pants (or at least the top button) have become your enemy since you’ve had that third helping of Christmas dessert.
We don’t blame you if you want to stay inside in this weather. In fact, we live in great times when, thanks to the internet, you can stay productive throughout winter without leaving your house – heck, even without putting pants on!
Here are 31 things for you to do inside on a cold winter day:
- Talk to a loved one on the phone.
- Talk to your tandem language partner from a different country on Skype.
- Make an amazing breakfast. It’s not breakfast time? Well, since you’re not wearing any pants, you might as well go there.
- Learn Spanish, and dream of all the warm countries you can visit where Spanish is spoken.
- Sort through all those papers that you’ve been meaning to catch up with. This is not fun, but it’ll be so rewarding once you’re done.
- Plan your next vacation. Get into details: sights, where you’re going to eat, where you’re going to stay… and learn the language of your destination before you go!
- Teach your dog some tricks.
- Teach your cat some tricks.
- Don’t teach your cat tricks! Are you insane? Do you want to have scars from those scratches and bites forever?
- Learn a magic trick from a YouTube video.
- Get a hot bubble bath going and make it extra cozy with nice candles and music.
- Learn to knit yourself some cozy socks.
- Learn to cook a new meal. If you order groceries online, you don’t even have to go shopping! (Consider wearing pants when opening the door for the delivery person though, otherwise things might get awkward.)
- If you don’t want to cook, try to order food in the native language of the restaurant you’re ordering from. (Again, please put on pants when the delivery person shows up.)
- Try your own language challenge.
- Make a scrapbook.
- Learn Italian and dream of a time and place where the only cold thing you might come in contact with is not snow or ice, but ice cream.
- Work out. Bonus: Your pants can’t get all sweaty and gross while working out if you aren’t wearing any!
- Understand what the Danish word hygge really means, and then hyggify your apartment.
- Catch up on all the shows you want to watch… okay, you didn’t need us to tell you that, did you?
- Clean up your hard drive. Those 3,023 photos you still have of your ex? Yeah, you don’t need them.
- Write a letter. Yes, by hand! When was the last time you did that?
- Learn a language that is spoken in a colder region — for example Swedish, Norwegian or Russian — and then pretend that the cold weather doesn’t bother you at all because you’re accustomed to much worse.
- Curl up with a cup of hot cocoa and read a good book.
- Curl up with a cup of hot cocoa and write a good book. (Major bonus points if you do it in a different language.)
- Make a cool slideshow from photos on your computer.
- Clean out your closet.
- Sell the clothes you just decluttered on Ebay.
- Catch up on the news.
- Recreate one pin from your Pinterest. Hair, make-up, home decor, calligraphy… it’s up to you.
- Learn how to say hello in 10 languages. It’s only 10 phrases, you can do it!