Babbel may have been the first language-learning app of its kind, but 10 years in, we know we’re not the only option around. When you’re getting ready to learn a new language, it only makes sense that you’ll want to look around at all the options. After all, you don’t want to waste your time and energy on a program that won’t work for you. So is Babbel the right app for you? Let’s break it down.
Breaking Down Babbel’s Benefits
1. You’ll learn to have real-life conversations.
- While some learning methods involve a vocabulary and grammar overload from the very beginning, Babbel puts practical words and phrases first.
- By starting with lessons on things like ordering food and asking for directions, you’ll be able to build your language abilities around the situations you’re likely to encounter.
2. Your schedule will appreciate our quick, 10-15 minute lessons.
- Babbel’s lessons are designed to be a digestible 10 to 15 minutes each, so you can learn at your convenience.
- Research has shown that learning in small bursts every day is better than studying for a long time once a week.
3. Our courses are designed by language experts with you in mind.
- Each language course Babbel teaches is designed by our excellent team of linguists and researchers.
- Babbel is the only language-learning app designed with your native language in mind. Your experience with a new language will be different depending on your mother tongue, which is why our courses take into account what you already know and what you’ll need explained.
4. Your pronunciation will be pitch-perfect.
- From the very first lesson, there are opportunities to practice pronouncing vocab. That way, you’ll learn to speak correctly right away so you can be understood abroad.
- In case you want to study in public, there’s also the option to turn off speech recognition and still complete lessons.
5. Our review sessions are personalized to optimize your learning.
- The app analyzes your strengths and weaknesses so you won’t get stuck going over the things you already know again and again.
- You also have the option to practice your vocabulary either by speaking, writing or looking at notecards. Most importantly, you’ll actually remember what you’ve learned.
6. You’ll actually be able to understand our grammar tips.
- Babbel breaks down some of the most difficult grammatical concepts with tips in your native language.
- Adult brains are wired to process new languages analytically, so Babbel’s tips actually help you understand concepts that are difficult to figure out in immersion programs.
How Babbel Stacks Up To The Competition
Babbel Has Been Proven Effective
Our features are designed so you can have a gratifying learning experience that will get you speaking with confidence as soon as possible. You probably don’t want to just listen to us, though. Fortunately, we have evidence to back it up.
A study of Spanish learners by researchers from the City University of New York and the University of South Carolina found that people using Babbel got better at their new language faster than those who used other apps. In two months, it took Babbel users on average 21 hours to cover the material of a semester-long Spanish course, and it only took 15 hours for those who went in with no Spanish knowledge at all. In comparison, it took Duolingo users 34 hours and Rosetta Stone users 55.
Check Out What Other People Are Saying
Our favorite reviews of all come from our users. Here’s what just a few of them have said:
“With Babbel, you’re speaking full sentences at the end of the first lesson.”
— Gabrielle Salinger
“In Rio, I was actually able to talk to people. It made the whole trip a lot more fulfilling than running around like a tourist. I’m glad Babbel helped me experience that.”
— Evan Martin
“One of my best friends over my entire life is a native Swedish speaker. I can speak to him on the phone, and drop little Swedish words in, and he’s so blown away that this app would teach me how to speak the way a Swede would, in a bar or a restaurant. He’s so impressed by the pronunciation, the inflection, the way I’m using the words.”
— Scott Zweibel
Try A Babbel Lesson For Free
If you’re still wary about making a commitment, fortunately you can try Babbel out for free. We’re confident that after a lesson, you’ll see how quickly we can help you start speaking a new language.