Babbel may have been the first language-learning app of its kind, but 10 years in, we know we’re not the only option around. When you’re getting ready to learn a new language, it only makes sense that you’ll want to look around at all the options. After all, you don’t want to waste your time and energy on a program that won’t work for you.
To help you find the language-learning app that’s best for you, we created this helpful comparison guide. You can see how Babbel stacks up against our competitors, and decide for yourself what makes the most sense for your learning.
Breaking Down Babbel’s Benefits
1. Learn to have real-life conversations.
- While some learning methods involve a vocabulary and grammar overload from the very beginning, Babbel puts practical words and phrases first.
- By starting with lessons on things like ordering food and asking for directions, you’ll be able to build your language abilities around the situations you’re likely to encounter.
- Our users find that after a few days of using Babbel, they can comfortably have conversations on a variety of topics.
2. Digestible 10-15 minute lessons.
- You may be a busy person, so studying for hours and hours just isn’t an option.
- Babbel’s lessons are designed to be a digestible 10 to 15 minutes each, so you can learn at your convenience.
- Research has shown that learning in small bursts every day is better than studying for a long time once a week.
3. Courses designed by language experts.
- Each language course Babbel teaches is designed by our excellent team of linguists and researchers.
- By using cognitively proven teaching methods, you’ll be learning a new language the right way.
- Babbel is the only language-learning app designed with your native language in mind. Your experience with a new language will be different depending on your mother tongue, which is why our courses take into account what you already know and what you’ll need explained.
4. Personalized review sessions.
- Babbel has review sessions that are optimized for your learning experience.
- The app analyzes your strengths and weaknesses so you won’t get stuck going over the things you already know again and again.
- You also have the option to practice your vocabulary either by speaking, writing or looking at notecards. Most importantly, you’ll actually remember what you’ve learned.
5. Speech recognition technology.
- From the very first lesson, there are opportunities to practice pronouncing vocab. That way, you’ll learn to speak correctly right away so you can be understood abroad.
- In case you want to study in public, there’s also the option to turn off speech recognition and still complete lessons.
6. Straightforward grammar tips.
- Who knew a language could have so many different tenses? Babbel breaks down some of the most difficult grammatical concepts with tips in your native language.
- Adult brains are wired to process new languages analytically, so Babbel’s tips actually help you understand concepts that are difficult to figure out in immersion programs.
Check Out What Other People Are Saying
Our features are designed so you can have a gratifying learning experience that will get you speaking with confidence as soon as possible. You probably don’t want to just listen to us, though. Fortunately, other people think we’re awesome, too.
A study of Spanish learners by researchers from the City University of New York and the University of South Carolina found that people using Babbel got better at their new language faster than those who used other apps. In two months, it took Babbel users on average 21 hours to cover the material of a semester-long Spanish course. In comparison, it took Duolingo users 34 hours and Rosetta Stone users 55.
Our favorite reviews, however, come from our users. Here’s what just a few of them have said:
“With Babbel, you’re speaking full sentences at the end of the first lesson.”
— Gabrielle Salinger
“In Rio, I was actually able to talk to people. It made the whole trip a lot more fulfilling than running around like a tourist. I’m glad Babbel helped me experience that.”
— Evan Martin
“One of my best friends over my entire life is a native Swedish speaker. I can speak to him on the phone, and drop little Swedish words in, and he’s so blown away that this app would teach me how to speak the way a Swede would, in a bar or a restaurant. He’s so impressed by the pronunciation, the inflection, the way I’m using the words.”
— Scott Zweibel
Try A Babbel Lesson For Free
If you’re still wary about making a commitment, fortunately you can try Babbel out for free. We’re confident that after a lesson, you’ll see how quickly we can help you start speaking a new language.