The Babbel Language Scholarship is no longer accepting applications for the 2022 cycle. Please stay tuned for more information about how to apply next year.
At Babbel, we see language learning as an opportunity for people to overcome communication barriers, leave their comfort zone and connect with the world. We believe that everyone should be able to learn a new language — no matter their educational background or journey.
Because we know that students thrive with comprehensive and long-lasting education in foreign languages, we created the Babbel Language Scholarship. We’re giving you a chance to take your language studies to the next level, whether it’s helping you start or complete your undergraduate language degree, study abroad in a new country or enroll in a language program outside of your regular course load. Whatever your future holds, the study of foreign languages — and a language scholarship — will help you get there!
Starting March 1, 2022, apply for the chance to win up to $2,500 in prize money towards your language education and access to all of Babbel’s language courses for one year. And even if you don't win, we’d still like to acknowledge your efforts! Each complete application made to us will be awarded free access to Babbel for one month.
Get to know last year's winner of the Babbel Scholarship.
How do I apply?
To apply for the Babbel Language Scholarship, please submit all the required information in the form on this page by April 30, 2022. Be certain that you have read the general terms and conditions below carefully and that nothing is missing. Unfortunately, incomplete applications can’t be considered — so make sure you triple check before sending!
Here’s what you need to submit in the form below:
- your full name
- your college or university
- what language you’re studying
- your personal essay (see below)
We also ask for a letter of recommendation from a current or former language teacher, professor, tutor or instructor to be emailed directly to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name in the subject line. Applications will not be considered complete and therefore will not be reviewed without a letter of recommendation.
If selected, you will be asked for proof of your current or upcoming enrollment at a 2- or 4-year college or university (e.g., a student ID or official letter/transcript) for fall 2022.
Who is eligible to apply?
Any US resident currently enrolled in a 2- or 4-year college program for the fall 2022 semester and who is either actively studying or planning to study a Babbel language (Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Polish, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Turkish and Indonesian) at a college or university level is eligible for the Babbel Language Scholarship.
Your personal essay
Please include in your application a motivational essay of no more than 750 words. Your essay should answer the following prompt: “Speaking a foreign language can transform your life for the better.”
The selection process
All applications will be reviewed and evaluated by a select committee. The winner will be selected and notified via the email address provided by mid-May 2022.
Using Babbel: The Student Experience
The Babbel app is the perfect tool to complement your language studies or to help you start learning a new language altogether outside of what you’re already studying. Babbel courses are created by more than 150 linguists and language teachers who know what it takes to get you speaking a new language with confidence.
Here’s what sets Babbel apart as a wonderful tool in your language studies:
- Babbel’s language courses strengthen the four areas of language learning: reading, writing, listening (to real audio recordings from native speakers) and speaking (with our speech recognition technology).
- A combination of matching, fill-in-the-blank and speaking exercises are mixed in with games, audio lessons, podcasts to give you more ways to learn about culture and grammar.
- Our lessons immerse you in the type of real-life dialogues you’d have with real native speakers, right from the start.
- The Review feature brings back information you’re learning in stages, helping you lock it in your long-term memory and recall it when you need it most.
- You can choose the topics that are the most relevant and interesting to you to fill in the gaps in your class curriculum and make what you’re studying really feel like your own.
- Lessons take about 10 to 15 minutes to complete, making them easy to fit into your busy schedule and to take with you wherever you go.
Learn more about how to use Babbel as a student.